Sunday, May 8, 2011

Last year, this year

One of Mom's favorite games to play with her family was "what were we doing last week/last month/last year ago on this day?" and it's a game we all play at some point or another. I know I'm constantly reflecting back.

Last year on Mother's Day, Tara was graduating from Marywood University. Several hours before that, Sean and Ellen were having their twins, Rosie first and then Jude a few hours later shortly before midnight. And Mom was in good health at that point. A lot to celebrate.

We stuffed ourselves into those tiny, uncomfortable chairs, a whole line of us, O'Connors and Abbamondis, and we waited to see Tara get called up for her diploma. Afterwards, we went out to dinner at some kind of steakhouse. I remember waiting awhile, but all of us in good spirits about it. The food had to be good. I gave Mom and Mrs. O cards for Mother's Day, and Mom liked what I wrote to her; I can't recall the specifics, but something about how her children are really just a reflection of herself, and how perfect that is. As dinner ended and we began to part ways, Mom tried to give me some cash. A folded five. I told her "no," and she tried again. I again said "no," but she was resilient, having to forcefully put the money in my hand. I remember that strongly, as I had frustrated her to a point that I regret.

That was last year's Mother's Day. Today...well, it was strange. Certainly bittersweet. Went to church, and the Rockaway Mall, and then took a nap. Thought about Mom a lot, about how May was her month, with three things to celebrate: Mother's Day, her birthday, and the weather turning warmer.

2 comments:

  1. That was a good time even if I was stiff. Thank you for sharing. A boy needs $5...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dina! I know today is especially hard. What a wonderful tribute this site is to your mom. I know she's looking down on all of you and SO proud! Love ya, Tiff (Swinehart)

    ReplyDelete